Harry Potter - Golden Snitch

Sunday, June 4, 2023

Rotten Girl 47: Claim your Stake

Firstly, there's our department head—Li Ziru. Our boss can handle any work requirement effortlessly, like pulling an all-nighter to finish a magazine, as he did last time. But what's even more astonishing is not his ability to juggle multiple tasks but his browsing speed. Never assume that our boss is too busy to thoroughly review your manuscript. He can read tens of thousands of words in just ten minutes and easily spot numerous errors, casually mentioning the phrase "deduct pay."

Never entertain any illusions of luck in front of our boss.

The same goes for Ren Han, the second eccentric person in our company, also known as the "Demon King." There have been rumors circulating about the speed at which the Demon King writes, claiming that he can produce over ten thousand words in an hour. I had my doubts about this claim, and so did Can Can. We often treated it as a joke that quickly faded away. That is until one day when the Demon King, Automan, and I were watching the classic animation "Little Red Riding Hood Qiaqia."

As soon as the animation started, Ren Han began typing on his laptop, which annoyed me. I threw an Automan potato chip at him and complained, "If you're not going to watch, I'll take out the DVD. This animation is so outdated, something we watched in elementary school. I'll turn it off."

Ren Han calmly continued typing and replied, "No, don't turn it off. I'm watching."

"Watching? Fine, tell me what that Se Weiyi said at the beginning."

"!#@$$^%&$," Ren Han said, his eyebrows relaxed. My mouth formed an "O" shape as I rewound the DVD. Every line of dialogue was recited perfectly! Impossible! He must have memorized it in advance. But this animation is so long, he couldn't possibly have memorized everything, right?

Not willing to give up, I randomly selected another episode, and the Demon King didn't object. He continued typing on his laptop, sounding like a typewriter. I asked, "Tell me, where did Qiaqia and Automan go and what did they say?"

"◇?Θ&*(▲!#%," he replied.

Is this... even... human? He recited it perfectly again! Just as I was shocked, the Demon King pushed his laptop away and said, "I've finished the major manuscript for this issue. Now it's your turn, chief editor."

I blinked, "Didn't the major manuscript have over thirty thousand words? Moreover, we've been together for the past two days, and I didn't see you have any time to write."

"Yeah," the Demon King replied calmly, nodding his head, "I wrote it while watching TV."

My jaw dropped this time, and my eyes popped out. "Impossible! Absolutely impossible!" One episode of the animation is only twenty-four minutes long. Even if we watched two episodes, it would barely be an hour. Writing at a speed of thirty thousand words per hour, and that too while being disturbed by me and Automan...

Is it really possible for someone in this universe to multitask so effortlessly?

Frustrated, I shouted, "You must have written it in advance!"

Hearing that, Ren Han raised an eyebrow with a proud look on his face. He opened his laptop once again and provocatively said, "I still have another client's proposal to work on. This time, you can watch me while I write. Want to give it a try?"

So, once again, we watched TV, I bothered Automan, and Bai Ning created chaos. Amidst all this, Ren Han successfully completed the ad proposal within half an hour. Looking at the nearly perfect manuscript, tears welled up in my eyes. "You're not human!"

Seeing my reaction, Ren Han playfully rubbed my head and said, "You editors are something else. Other editors would be delighted when I give them a manuscript to edit. I'm so good that I submit it quickly, and you hardly need to make any changes. Just add your name as the editor and you can claim a high editing fee."

...

Since then, I completely believe that the Demon King's explosiveness is indeed very cute and powerful. And last night, I had the privilege of experiencing someone's extraordinary explosiveness in other aspects once again.

The aftermath is that the next morning, I woke up with a sore back and completely missed the alarm clock.

When I finally woke up and glanced at the clock, the hour and minute hands were stylishly overlapping, pointing at "9". I was stunned, and the sleepiness was instantly killed by the imagined aura of the boss. I jumped up and realized that Demon King was no longer beside me. With determination, I searched for my clothes while gritting my teeth. Demon King came into the living room looking refreshed.

"Why are you up?"

Staring at the excessively demanding Demon King, I broke out in a cold sweat. Why is it that even though it's absurdly past four o'clock, he looks so elegant and refined, and I...

I lowered my head and glanced at myself. Thinking about being late for work, I grabbed Demon King's pajamas and started taking them off. "Hurry, get dressed quickly, we're going to be late @¥#%#..."

Demon King glanced at me, and I had already taken off most of the pajamas. "No need to rush, I've already requested leave for you."

I fell silent, frozen in place.

"Requested... requested leave?"

"Yeah, I told them you had a fever."

My hands obediently retreated, and I forced a smile. "I see, well... I'll go prepare some food then. Demon King, please put on your clothes."

"Heh!" Just as I reached the doorway, Demon King behind me let out a low, chilling laugh. It sent shivers down my spine, making my hair stand on end.

Sure enough, in the next moment, Demon King's claw-like hand had already wrapped around me, blowing hot breath against my ear. "Since you've already taken them off, it's rare that you did it with your own hands. Let's not waste it..."

"..."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up again to find Ultraman scratching the edge of the bed angrily with his claws. As soon as he saw me move, Ultraman immediately took advantage and started howling. I gently patted his head and said, "Go find Daddy."

"Ah-woo-woo!" Ultraman's howling intensified, his eyes welling up with tears, as if he wanted to convey something important.

Yawning, I got out of bed. What did Ultraman want to say? Was Ren Han not around? I wandered around the living room but couldn't find any trace of Ren Han. I found it strange. Ultraman grabbed the hem of my clothes and dragged me towards the study. However, the door to the study was strangely closed.

Usually, we rarely closed any doors at home, even when Ren Han was working. I had the freedom to come and go as I pleased, and even when Ultraman jumped onto his lap and left two pawprints on his notebook, Demon King didn't mind. But now, the door was closed...

Ultraman sat at the entrance of the study, scratching the door with his right hand in a rhythmic motion, while howling again. Poor child, he forgot to tell him that the study was soundproofed. No matter how loud he howled, his daddy couldn't hear him. I picked up Ultraman, preparing to knock on the door, but it opened automatically. In an instant, everyone inside and outside the room froze.

As I stared at the group of elite reporters in the room, I stood rooted to the spot, exchanging bewildered glances with them. Countless questions raced through my mind, but I couldn't find a way to respond. How did they end up here? When did they arrive? What were they here for? Would it have any negative consequences now that they had seen me?

Before I could ponder further, Ren Han, who opened the door, pulled me into his embrace. Looking into his tender eyes, I knew he was about to put on a show.

He affectionately touched my forehead and said, "Why are you awake? Couldn't you sleep a little longer?"

As he finished speaking, the atmosphere in the room suddenly turned bizarre, and everyone seemed dumbfounded. Each person seemed to have three black lines hovering above their heads. I was as clueless as an ignorant monk, but I had to navigate the situation. I stepped back while smiling and said, "I, I didn't know we had guests at home. I'll go make some tea."

After my words, the elite reporters of the department fell into an even deeper silence. It was only then that I realized my statement seemed to have dealt a fatal blow to them. Ren Han's face had turned as dark as Judge Bao's.

"Don't mind them. Are you hungry? I made porridge."

I was speechless and gently pushed Ren Han away. "Don't worry about me. Carry on with your activities. I..."

Before I could finish my sentence, Ren Han half-embraced me and walked towards the door. "It's alright. I'll get the porridge. You go back to bed and lie down obediently."

"..." Just before leaving, I stole a glance at the expressions of the reporters, and finally understood the meaning of "a mix of grief and indignation."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

At around half-past twelve, after the business meeting in the Journalism Department concluded, I immediately became furious and grabbed Ren Han, hopping in anger. "You said, you said, why did they come without notifying me in advance?"

Ren Han chuckled, "What are you afraid of? We're not in the same department, let alone have a direct superior-subordinate relationship. Even if we're together, the company won't say anything."

"But," I choked with frustration, unable to articulate my thoughts. After all, we are living together. If you're gathering employees at our home for a meeting, you should have informed me beforehand! Now it's become so awkward for everyone.

Feeling wronged, the Demon King raised his eyebrows and unexpectedly said, "Bai Ning, I already talked to Xiao Zai. Since you had a fever, you might take a few days off for sick leave, so I assigned someone else to handle that investment manual."

I paused, stunned, and after a long while, I asked, "You knew about yesterday?"

Ren Han remained silent, hands in his pockets, nodding.

In an instant, a dreadful thought crossed my mind: Could it be that today Ren Han did it on purpose?

Intentionally and brazenly taking sick leave for me, spreading the news that I'm ill, letting everyone in the world know that I'm with Ren Han. Intentionally not going to work himself, gathering employees at our home for a meeting, and then deliberately letting me run into them. The purpose is to tell every member of the Journalism Department that Bai Ning is mine, under my protection. Whoever doesn't know their place can face the consequences.

Then, he casually assigned the troublesome investment manual to someone else, and Xiao Zai naturally had nothing to say about it. So... I guess the entire company is now pretending to work diligently, fingers flying over the keyboards, spreading gossip about me and Ren Han in the QQ group!

The whole universe thinks I had a fling last night, so the Demon King got angry today, both of us skipping work to intimidate those who bully me.

Thinking about it, I looked at those smiling eyes, and everything became clear.

Biting my hand with a broken heart, I said, "I didn't have a fling! You're seeking revenge on Xiao Zai like this. She probably hates me now, and the people in the Journalism Department must be cursing at me!"

Ren Han crossed his arms, serious expression on his face. "You can still have a fling now if you want."

I scoffed and turned my head. "Speaking of which, why did Xiao Zai target me like that? Is it because of you?"

Ren Han paused and sat down on the couch, holding me in his arms. He began to recount, "Once, we visited a client together, and later, I got drunk. She drove me back home..." Upon hearing this, my heart unexpectedly skipped a beat. Even though I knew it was in the past, the thought of Ren Han's romantic history made me curl my lips and pretend not to care. "Yeah, right."

Little did I know, he continued earnestly, "But later, I rejected her."

At his words, I burst into laughter. "Come on, with your playboy looks, changing girlfriends every three days."

Ren Han frowned, becoming even more serious. "It's true, Bai Ning. I admit I had many girlfriends before you, but I never pursued anyone before you."

I...I digested those words, repeating them to myself harshly, yet I still couldn't grasp their meaning. I giggled and said, "Don't joke around."

"Do I seem like I'm joking? Can you joke about something like this? That's why I said from the beginning, Bai Ning, you have to take responsibility for me!"

As I looked at the Demon King's furious expression, my mind went blank. I had no thoughts left.

The world had shattered.


Previous Chapter           Next Chapter

~Thank You for Reading, Please Comment Below~

Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Get Notified When We Post!

* indicates required

Want to Buy Us a Coffee?

Become a Patron!

Suggest A Novel!

Name

Email *

Message *