Harry Potter - Golden Snitch

Monday, June 5, 2023

Rotten Girl 63: Engagement Ceremony

Q: What's the difference between a husband and a boyfriend?

A: A husband can not only keep you warm, act as an ATM card, act as your personal assistant, and be scolded like a grandchild, but also, at the most critical moments of your life, when you're hesitant and unable to make a decision, he will stand on the common ground of mutual interests and consider the family, helping you make the most correct choice.

So, when I returned home that night, I poured my heart out to Ren Han. After a long babble about the situation at work, I presented the choice of "quitting or staying" to the Demon King.

Upon hearing this, Ren Han pondered for a while, stroking his chin on the couch. Finally, he furrowed his brow and said, "Ning Ning, should we register our marriage first or have the wedding reception first?"

Hearing that, I was dumbfounded. After all that I said, it seemed like I was talking to a wall; he didn't listen at all.

I was frustrated. "So we get legally married first and have the wedding reception later?"

The Demon King hesitated, "That could work, but it might feel a bit like an afterthought to have the wedding reception after getting legally married!"

I facepalmed at the dilemma, "What exactly do you want then?"

Upon hearing this, Ren Han cleared his throat and pulled me into his arms, whispering, "Ren Group has a department called 'Grandmother Department' with shares. Today, she has decided to continue exploring projects in China while officially joining the Ren Group shareholders' meeting. There might be a press conference in a few days."

After a pause, Ren Han continued, stroking my head, "The family's suggestion is to generate some buzz about our relationship at the press conference."

"You want to announce our engagement to everyone at the press conference?!" I screamed, getting even more frustrated. Wouldn't the so-called press conference then turn into our engagement ceremony?

Ren Han nodded earnestly, "Actually, it's not Ren's family's idea, it's your parents' idea. Perhaps they have concerns about your previous wedding experience, fearing that I might run away or that the Ren family might neglect you, so they want to have an engagement ceremony first."

"..." How did I end up with such parents?!

Tears welled up in my eyes instantly. This isn't a drama, why do we need an engagement ceremony? "Actually, we don't have to follow my parents' suggestion."

Upon hearing this, the Demon King raised his voice, "That won't do!" After a brief pause, he picked up the invitation cards from the coffee table and pondered, "Ning Ning, take a look. Besides these, who else do we need to invite?"

I looked down at the invitation cards and was dumbfounded.

The invitation letter for the press conference was unexpectedly made in bright red color, resembling a traditional wedding invitation. Each one was personally written by Demon King Ren, with strong and vibrant calligraphy that seemed to convey the host's joy. But when I looked at the accompanying guest list, I was completely dumbfounded.

In addition to some domestic media outlets that are frequently in contact, there were also **Net, **Gossip Tabloid, and various television program teams. Among them were the tabloids and TV stations that extensively covered the previous scandal involving Ren Han and Jiao Jiao and even the gossip magazine that had criticized Ren Han for being fickle. It was a grand commercial press conference, yet these low-quality and third-rate media were all invited.

I choked a bit and forced a smile, "Demon King Ren, you really went all out, huh?"

Ren Han patted my head and said, "If we don't invite these people, they will be left outside speculating and spreading rumors. It's better to invite them in, give them some red envelopes, and then the media's attention will naturally turn to our side."

It took a moment for me to understand the hidden meaning behind Demon King Ren's words. Ever since Ren Han and Jiao Jiao's scandal was exposed, and I quickly "interfered" with their relationship, the mainstream media naturally favored Jiao Jiao, criticizing me as the home-wrecker and third party. Some online forums were filled with Jiao Jiao's fans attacking me, which made me hesitant to visit my once favorite "Tianya Gossip" forum.

Because I also worked in the magazine industry, people within the industry were relatively calm about my relationship with Ren Han, but the gossip and discussions still persisted behind my back. I heard about ten different versions, some claiming that my father wanted to start a magazine and sent me undercover at "Fashion & Gourmet" magazine, but I failed and ended up bringing home a good son-in-law instead. There were also rumors about Ren Group was facing a financial crisis and needing assistance from the Bai family, resulting in Ren Han sacrificing his reputation, and so on. None of the versions were flattering.

I didn't really care, and Ren Han never mentioned them either. I thought he didn't even bother with these rumors. I didn't expect that he would silently protect me in this way!

As I thought about this, a smile uncontrollably formed on my lips, and my heart felt warm.

Hmm, you boring uncle, Demon King Ren is a restrained flirt!

Demon King Ren saw me swooning and didn't despise me. He stretched lazily and said, "Alright, we're done with serious matters. Let's wash up and go to sleep." With that, he scooped me up and headed towards the bedroom. Frozen for two seconds, I struggled and howled, "Wait, you haven't answered my question!!"

Ren Han blinked, "Hmm? Did you ask me a question?"

"Xiao Fu-jie left, and Can Can wants to resign, and I—"

Before I could finish speaking, Ren Han threw me onto the bed and pulled at his tie, saying, "Is that a question? It's better to think about how we can conceive as soon as possible to please both sets of parents. I forgot to tell you, Grandma went to visit your mother today. They hit it off instantly and happily bought a bunch of baby supplies. Should I bring them for you to see?"

"No, no need." Demon King Ren's attitude was clear. Now, besides the matter of procreation, nothing else was a problem. Whether to resign or stay, it was already clear in the face of a baby. Once I actually became pregnant, even if Demon King Ren agreed to let me continue working, I would be sent back home to rest by both sets of parents.

"But..." I began to protest, but before I could finish, Ren Han pounced on me like a hungry wolf, pressing me down, "Ning Ning, I've already thought it through. Today isn't your safe period, so we need to put in a bit more effort."

I blinked, experiencing a momentary power outage. Demon King Ren was already quite diligent on a regular basis, so his idea of "a bit more effort"...

"No, please don't—"

Why was it always me who gets squeezed and bullied in this pitiful world?

Under the efforts of Ren Mowang, I was tirelessly exploited day and night.

Despite that, I was still tasked with delivering invitation cards to various media outlets within the industry. Thus, Ren Han's scheme was completely revealed.

On that day, Demon King Ren finished writing all the invitation cards in one go. Just as I was touched by the fact that someone took care of everything inside and out without me having to worry, Ren Han said, "When you're free, go and deliver these invitation cards. It doesn't matter for the other third-rate media, but it's more polite to personally deliver them to some important clients and friends within the industry."

Upon hearing this, I clung to the coffee table in disbelief. "Did you just say that I should deliver them?" I couldn't believe my ears. Well, even though the invitation cards stated that it was for the news conference on changes in the shareholders' meeting of the Ren Group, the news of our engagement with Ren Han had already spread widely. Sending the invitation cards to the various media outlets myself was no different from delivering wedding invitations.

I didn't want to do something so embarrassing. I turned my head away and said, "I'm not going! Absolutely not!"

Demon King Ren seemed to ignore my protest, neatly organizing the invitation cards by region and media type before letting out a faint sigh. "Ning Ning, we're about to get married. You're not a child anymore. Do you remember how your mother instructed you?"

"Uh..." I was at a loss for words. The more Demon King Ren called my mother "your mother," the more grating it sounded. I don't know what methods Ren Han used, but he managed to deceive my parents completely. When I brought Ren Han home for dinner that day, my mother earnestly advised, "Marriage is not just about getting a marriage certificate and hosting a wedding banquet. Ning Ning, you have to start learning. Remember, marriage is a partnership, and everything should be shared together..."

Even if my mother's life depended on it, she wouldn't be able to come up with such serious words. So, faced with the instigator in front of me, I was itching with hatred. "I helped you wash the dishes today, isn't that sharing together? What do you know?"

Demon King Ren stood up and silently took the coffee from my hand. "Then, as the leading lady of the engagement ceremony, what have you done?"

Supervising Demon King Ren while he wrote the invitation cards, does that count as doing something?

Continuing on: "Husbands and wives should learn to share responsibilities. Now that I have finished writing the invitation letters, I entrust the task of delivering them to you, my dear wife." He paused for a moment, took another sip of coffee, and frowned. "By the way, this is the best time for conceiving a baby. Coffee is not good for your health, so you should quit drinking it."

Quiet and mysterious, the proud and aloof Ren Han, it turns out he was afraid of embarrassing himself and being ridiculed by clients and friends while delivering the invitation letters. That's why he took the initiative to write them and ultimately pushed me in front of the media, using the excuse of "sharing the burden." Just the thought of this event made my fists clench slightly.

Across from me, Miss N from the personnel department of "Elegant Wind" magazine looked at me, grinding my teeth, with a puzzled expression. "Miss Bai, what's wrong with you?"

Hearing someone calling me, I snapped back to reality and quickly replied, "Oh, it's nothing. I've been a bit tired lately."

Miss N burst into laughter as soon as she heard my response. "You have to juggle work, wedding preparations, and taking care of your husband. It's really not easy."

Looking at Miss N's charming eyes, I felt three black lines hanging over my head. "It's alright, it's alright!" Throughout the day, while delivering the invitation letters, I didn't know how many colleagues had made similar comments, and gradually, I became somewhat numb to it.

Miss N continued, "Coincidentally, we have a new editor-in-chief in our company. She will be responsible for interviewing and following up on this press conference. She is the one who will meet with you today. However, she is currently in a meeting, so she might..."

Before Miss N could finish her sentence, the door to the reception room suddenly opened. With rhythmic footsteps, a modern and glamorous lady walked in, laughing out loud, "We can have a meeting anytime, when Xiao Ningzi is here, I have to give her a warm welcome!"

Upon hearing this, I lifted my head slightly and was shocked to see the person who had entered. It took me a while to find my voice and say, "Xiao Fu jie!"


Previous Chapter           Next Chapter


~Thank You for Reading, Please Comment Below~

Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Get Notified When We Post!

* indicates required

Want to Buy Us a Coffee?

Become a Patron!

Suggest A Novel!

Name

Email *

Message *